Census FAQs

What is the Annual Town Census?

Massachusetts General Law Chap. 51, Sec. 4 mandates an annual street listing of residents as of January 1st.  The Board of Registrars in coordination with the Town Clerk's Office sends out census forms to all Tewksbury households at the beginning of every year.  Look for your annual census form to arrive in the mail in early January.  The dog license renewal form is at the bottom of the census form. The census form asks for the name, gender, date of birth and occupation of all residents in your household.

Is the information collected public?

In accordance with Massachusetts General Law, Chap. 51, Sec. 6. the Annual List of Residents is published based on census data containing the names and addresses of all residents 17 years of age or older. The Annual List of Residents is available in July of each year for $15 as a hard copy, e-mailed PDF, or CD.

Can I register to vote on my census form?

No. Voter registration in Tewksbury has never been easier than it is today. You may visit the Town Clerk’s Office in Tewksbury Town Hall, 1009 Main St. and complete a voter registration form in person. Or, you may download a Mail-In Voter Registration Form

In addition, the state registries of motor vehicles, social service agencies and military recruitment offices provide voter registration services.

Can I tell if I'm registered to vote from my census form?

Yes.  Party enrollment information is included on the census form designated by a letter. If there is not a letter to the left of your name, you are not registered to vote in Tewksbury.  If there is a "U" next to your name, it means that you are registered but not affiliated with a particular party. "U" stands for "Unenrolled", formerly known as "Independent."

Can I change my name or political party on my census form?

No. We are unable to make changes to your voter registration from your census form. You must complete and sign a Change of Name Card or Change of Political Party Card and return it to the Town Clerk's Office.

Change of Name Card

Change of Political Party or Political Designation Card

What is an Inactive Voter?

An inactive voter is a voter who failed to return the census.  Any voter who does not respond to the annual census by the first Monday in June is made inactive.  Voters who are made inactive are immediately sent a confirmation card. This mailing notifies the voter that their name has been removed from the active voting list and has been placed on the inactive voting list and provides the voter with an opportunity to activate themselves by signing the postage prepaid confirmation card and returning it to the Town Clerk's Office. Voters can also be reinstated by voting in an election or town meeting or signing a petition or nomination paper.  

On Election Day or Town Meeting Day, inactive voters are allowed to vote, but they must provide ID matching the address listed on the voter’s list as well as complete an Affirmation of Current & Continuous Residence. This takes the voter and warden time to complete, so we encourage all voters to return their census form.

What if I lost my census form or didn't receive one?

Blank copies can obtained by clicking on the link on the top of this page, or we can print one out if a voter comes into the office. If you have any questions contact us via e-mail attownclerk@tewksbury-ma.gov or by telephone at 978-640-4355.