DURING THE DECLARED STATE OF EMERGENCTY THE FOLLOWING IS IN EFFECT
Firearms Licensing or other permits
Applicants for Renewals and First Issues can download the application form from the Tewksbury Police Department website (https://www.tewksbury-ma.gov/sites/g/files/vyhlif1316/f/file/file/2015_l... ) or https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-for-a-firearms-license and then email the completed application to Firearmslicensing@tewksbury-ma.gov or send via US MAIL to the attention of Jo-Ann Harris. Receipts will be mailed to applicants. The prefered format is to scan the entire application packet( applicationand supporting docs) as one PDF file. If you cannot scan the entire file to a pdf then please mail in the application.
Firearms applicants PLEASE DO NOT ENCLOSE FEE WHEN SENDING THE APPLICATION. THE FEE WILL BE COLLECTED ONCE IN PERSON APPOINTMENTS ARE AVAILABLE.
Before You Apply
Before applying for your firearms license, please ensure that you meet the following requirements:
- Must be a United States Citizen or provide proof of Naturalization.
- Must be a Tewksbury resident or business owner in Tewksbury. You must provide proof of residency as well as proof that you own the business.
- For a License to Carry (LTC), you must meet eligibility requirements as defined by MGL Chapter 140, Section 131:
- For a Firearms Identification Card (FID), you must meet eligibility requirements as defined by MGL Chapter 140, Section 129B:
- The Licensing Authority may require other documentation as necessary.
You may obtain an application for the license you wish to apply for by visiting https://www.mass.gov/firearms-services
DO NOT INCLUDE A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER WITH YOUR APPLICATION.
Your application packet must include the following:
- The completed application including your SSN and Driver’s License Number on the application line where it requests it. The SSN is not optional for the Licensing Authority purposes.
- New applicants and renewals from other towns must include a photocopy of your Basic Firearms Safety Course Certificate or its equivalent. See the Massachusetts state website for the list of approved courses. Active Duty US Military and Massachusetts National Guard Members do not need to take the Firearms Safety Course.
- A photocopy of your Massachusetts driver’s license or other government issued ID, such as Active Duty Military or dependent ID’s.
- A photocopy of your birth certificate, passport, or Naturalization Papers.
- If renewing your license from another town, you must have completed the Change of Address Notification Form prior to submitting your application. The form is available here.
- If applying as a business owner, you must show proof that you are in fact the owner of the business (not simply an employee) as shown on your business registration with the Massachusetts Secretary of State.
- DO NOT INCLUDE A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER WITH YOUR APPLICATION.
You may either drop off the application packet in person or send it by mail. Please use the following address:
Tewksbury Police Department
ATTN: Jo-Ann Harris
918 Main Street
Tewksbury, MA 01876
After You Apply
The Firearms Licensing Officer will contact you to schedule an appointment to further process your application. You are required to pay the full application fee at the time of the appointment. You may pay by check or money order. This fee is non-refundable. If you are over 70 and renewing a LTC/FID there is no fee. Please review the fee schedule below if you are not sure of your fee.
Once the application is received, the Firearms Licensing Officer will conduct a local and national criminal records background check. A criminal record may prevent you from obtaining a License to Carry Firearms or a Firearms Identification Card. Your application may be approved or denied by the Chief of Police pursuant to all applicable laws. A second review will be conducted by the Firearms Record Bureau.
If your application for a new or renewal LTC/FID is denied, you will receive a letter in the mail with the details and further instructions regarding your right of appeal
Application Fee Schedule
DO NOT INCLUDE A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER WITH YOUR APPLICATION. The preferred method of payment is by check or money order made out to "Town of Tewksbury". The license application fee is non-refundable.
License to Carry Firearms
Renewals over age 70
Firearms Identification Card
Applicants under age 18
Renewals over age 70
|Resident Alien LTC or FID||$100.00|
No additional fee is charged for a
|License to Sell Ammunition||$100.00|
Machine Gun License
Renewals over age 70
Contact the Firearms Licensing Officer
Please contact Sgt. Patrick Harrington with any questions at (978) 851-7373, extension 506, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.