For assistance installing your child safety seat, call (978) 851-7373 and contact Officer O'Keefe (x172) or Officer Welch (x230) and leave a message. All messages will be returned and an appointment will be set up during the hours of 8AM - 4PM.
Please fill out the Child Passenger Safety Inspection Form and bring the completed form with you to your appointment. Upon arrival to your appointment please have the seat unpacked and if possible attempt to install it on your own. Our techs will inspect your installation, make any needed corrections and instruct you on proper installation.
Children 12 and under should always ride in the back seat. Follow vehicle manufacturers’ warnings about seating of children near airbags.
Never place a rear-facing infant seat in front of an airbag.
Never place a shoulder belt behind the back or under the arm.
Set a good example – 70% of children whose parents do not buckle up will not buckle up when they become adults. Wear your safety belt every time! Massachusetts law requires everyone to buckle up.
Any object in a vehicle can become a projectile in a crash. Use a trunk or cargo area to properly store loose items.
Learn to properly use your child’s safety seat by reviewing the seat and vehicle manufacturers’ instructions. If you still need assistance, find a Child Passenger Safety Technician state wide, or call 1-877-392-5956 or TTY 1-617-725-0261. Click this link for Greater Lowell Car Seat Technicians.
For our winter-specific child passenger safety tips, please click here.
Massachusetts Child Passenger Safety Law (as of July 2008)
- Children must be in a federally approved child passenger restraint that is properly fastened and secured until they are 8 years old OR over 57” tall.
- Children ages 8 through 12 must wear a properly fastened safety belt.
- Police officer can stop your vehicle if a child age 12 or under is not properly restrained.
When is a child big enough to wear an adult safety belt?
- Tall enough to sit without slouching, by Massachusetts law over 57”
- Shoulder belt rests comfortably across the shoulder and chest, not the neck or throat
- Lap belt fits securely, low and snug on hips
- Sits with back and buttocks against seat
- Knees completely bend over edge of seat
- Feet are flat on the floor
- Stays comfortably seated this way