The mission of the Tewksbury Fire Department is to protect and educate our community, show courtesy and compassion to all, and continue the honored tradition and dedication of the fire service that exceeds expectations.
Risk Management Statement
- We will begin our response on the assumption that we can protect lives and property.
- We will risk ourselves a lot, if necessary, to protect a savable life.
- We will risk ourselves a little, using rationally aggressive tactics, to protect a savable property.
- We will not risk ourselves at all to save lives or property that is already lost.
- Dedicated to community, firefighting profession, and each other.
- Having pride in the organization and the service we provide to the community.
- Compassion, fairness and integrity practiced in all our endeavors.
- Trust and confidence in knowing and doing our jobs to the best of our abilities.
- Leaving a situation or problem better than we found it.
- Going above and beyond the standard in service delivery.
About Becoming a Firefighter in Tewksbury
- Tewksbury is a member of the Civil Service System.
- The State Civil Service entrance exam for firefighter is held every two years. Go to the Massachusetts Civil Service Exam Info webpage for the latest examination schedule.
- Residence preference is given to those who live in Tewksbury for the 12 months prior to the actual exam.
- Tewksbury requires all new hires to be Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT’s). Being an EMT, or being enrolled in an EMT course, prior to employment is preferred.
- New hires have one year to obtain their EMT certification.
- Before being hired a thorough background investigation is conducted along with a full pre-employment physical.
- Once selected, new hires attend the 9-week Massachusetts Fire Academy's Recruit Training Program in Stow. Some communities, such as Boston and Worcester have their own training academies.
For more information visit the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy Becoming A Firefighter webpage.
You can also visit the Civil Service webpage for examination information.
For More Information Contact:
Tewksbury Fire Department
21 Town Hall Avenue
Tewksbury, MA 01876
Tel: (978) 640-4410 FAX: (978) 640-4415